In my work, i needed to generate a folders structure to help the team to organize the work data, but i found that i have to create more than 1500 nested folders, and that’s hard to do manually so i tried to search for a solution on the internet for my situation but without any results so i developed my own tool to do the task, i developed Directory Tree Generator.
Directory Tree Generator
Directory Tree Generator (DirGen) is a small tool based on .Net-framework 4 that helps administrators to build any Directory Structure they want without any effort and with organized way.
Directory Tree Generator Functions
DirGen provide various functions to help the administrator accomplish his objective:
- Read Excel-Sheets and Extract the Folder Structure Tree.
- Generate and modify Directory Structure Tree in Run-time.
- Generate the Directory Structure Tree in Text File.
- Execute The Directory Structure Tree on The Windows File System.
- Export Directory Structure Tree to Excel Format.
- Support Command Line Parameters for Scripting.
Directory Tree Generator Screenshots
How to Use Directory Tree Generator Using GUI
First, construct the Directory Structure Tree. You can construct it using DirGen manually with the GUI or using Excel-Sheet Template then import the Excel-Sheet in the DirGen to construct your Directory Structure Tree automatically.
Import Directory Structure Tree from Excel-sheet
- Use The Included Template in The DirGen Folder to Build Your Directory Structure Tree. The Template Consists of One Sheet for Folder Structure, Which hold Directory Structure Tree.
- Import The Template in DirGen using Import from Excel Button.
- After Importing the Excel-sheet you can update its content at Run-time before Executing Tree Text or View Tree Text
- To View the Generate Tree Text Press View Tree Text Button.
- To Execute the Directory Tree Select the Destination then Press Execute Tree Text Button.
How to Use Directory Tree Generator Using Command Line
DirGen support Command Line Operations, and this interface can help the administrator to use DirGen in the scripts.
Command Line Formats
DirGen.exe –o "<output path>" –i "<input excel file path>" [-s] DirGen.exe –e "<root directory path>" –i "<input excel file path>" [-s]
|-o||Output Path For The Text File Which Hold The Directory Tree||Mandatory|
|-e||Execute The Directory Tree in The Root Directory Path||Mandatory|
|-i||Input Excel-Sheet Path Which Hold The Directory Tree||Mandatory|
|-s||Run in Silent Mode [No Notifications or Messages]||Optional|
Command Line Examples
This line will generate Text File hold the Directory Tree in Text Mode and This Operation will work in Silent Mode.
DirGen.exe –o "c:\text_sample.txt" –i "d:\excel_sample.xlsx" –s
This line will generate The Directory Tree in The Windows File System in The Destination Folder.
DirGen.exe –e "c:\testFolder" –i " d:\excel_sample.xlsx"
Feel free to send me your feedback, ideas or requests for this small app to improve it and make it a useful administrative tool